Dave Raymond’s American History includes many selections from original materials. We’ve received requests from homeschool parents asking for a supplemental book list. We have compiled a list arranged in loose chronological order by the time period covered in the story.
In the Teacher’s Guide to the American History course, there are several pages of further reading recommendations, as well. Many of those are additional history texts or source documents. We’ve included a few of the more “story-driven” titles and the corresponding lesson number.
American History Books for Children:
- Of Plymouth Plantation by William Bradford
- Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes
- The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (Lesson 7)
- Benjamin Franklin’s Autobiography (Lesson 9)
- Carry On, Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham
- The Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
- Hero Tales from American History by Henry Cabot Lodge and Theodore Roosevelt (Lesson 11/12)
- Huckleberry Finn & The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
- Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Mighty Rough Times, I Tell You ed. by Andrea Sutcliffe (Lesson 20)
- Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington (Lesson 26)
For younger readers (to keep up with their big brothers and sisters), a Junior American History Book List:
- The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh
- The Matchlock Gun by Walter Edmonds
- Revolutionary War on Wednesday by Mary Pope Osborne
- Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter and Connie Roop
- Civil War on Sunday by Mary Pope Osborne
- The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink
- Buffalo Bill by Ingri and Edgar Parin d’Aulaire
- Tree in the Trail by Holling C. Holling
- Paddle-to-the-Sea & Minn of the Mississippi by Holling C. Holling
If your students are looking for something more difficult or a little off the beaten path, try this Bonus American History Book List:
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving
- The Journals of Lewis and Clark
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Life on the Mississippi & Roughing It by Mark Twain
This is probably more than you have time for in just one year (unless you stop taking the time to do math lessons – not recommended!). Enjoy these American History Book Lists, and let us know if there are any great titles we missed!
The Compass Classroom Reading Chart
Keep track of book titles and books read by printing a helpful Reading Chart. Page 1 lists all the books completed with a “rating” section. Page 2 offers a place to write down all the books you “want to read”. We hope you find our Reading Chart useful!
Submit Your Email to Download the Reading Chart!
Veteran history teacher Dave Raymond gives a comprehensive history of the United States by applying a Christian worldview to the characters, events, theology, literature, art, and religious beliefs of the nation.
American History Video Curriculum
Part 1 in Dave Raymond’s History Series
Give your kids the love of history through this incredible story-driven American history homeschool curriculum, all from a Christian worldview.
Some book links are from Amazon and as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.