Grammar for Writers is a video-based, self-paced course designed to help learners feel less fear about getting grammar wrong, and more freedom in the flexibility that English affords.
This course is a deep dive into English grammar—but not grammar for its own sake. The goal is to give learners a mastery of grammar that results directly and immediately in better writing.
Grammar for Writers builds on a native speaker and reader’s instinctive understanding of language in order to demystify English grammar and sentence structure. The course provides very concrete tools to analyze, diagnose, and repair writing problems.
- 41 videos lessons (6.5 hours total)
- Lecture Notes for each lesson (PDF)
- Quizzes for each lesson (PDF)
This course is a great choice for homeschool families or for independent learners.
Credit: ½ Credit for High-School (or Upper Middle-School) Language Arts or Writing
The course is divided into four modules:
Module 1: The Main Line
- Module 1 Introduction (5:45)
- The Main Line (7:00)
- Identifying Verbs and Subjects (12:05)
- Identifying Objects and Complements (9:37)
- The Five Clause Patterns (12:43)
- Actors and Actions, Subjects and Verbs (9:37)
- What Is Passive Voice? (9:14)
- Uses of the Passive Voice (5:53)
- Nominalization (10:57)
- Strong Verbs vs. Precise Verbs (12:38)
- Keeping Subjects Close to Verbs (12:29)
- Compounds on the Main Line (11:05)
- Verb Tenses (9:04)
Module 2: Modifiers
- Module 2 Introduction (11:54)
- Adjectives and Adverbs (14:52)
- What’s So Bad About Adverbs? (8:54)
- Prepositional Phrases (Part 1) (8:52)
- Prepositional Phrases (Part 2) (9:29)
- Participles (10:56)
- Participial Phrases (12:19)
- Infinitives and Infinitive Phrases (7:25)
- Subordinate Clauses (Introduction) (14:44)
- Adjective Clauses (8:59)
- Adverb Clauses (10:49)
- More on Subordinate Clauses (10:13)
- Misplaced Modifiers (8:02)
- Module 2 Conclusion (7:16)
Module 3: Noun Equivalents
- Module 3 Introduction (7:55)
- Noun Clauses (8:48)
- Gerunds and Infinitives (8:03)
- Appositives (7:16)
- Essential and Non-Essential Elements (10:12)
- Module 3 Review (5:45)
Module 4: Connections and Transitions
- Module 4 Introduction (4:20)
- Subject-Verb Agreement (8:10)
- Pronouns and Antecedents (9:21)
- Connecting Clauses (Part 1) (9:08)
- Connecting Clauses (Part 2) (8:15)
- Parallelism (16:03)
- Nominative Absolutes (5:41)
- Course Wrap-Up (5:38)
How to Teach Grammar For Writers: Don’t know where to begin with this product (or need a refresher)? Try our brief jumpstart guide to see how all the pieces fit together.
Grammar For Writers Resources: Additional links, videos, and games you can use to supplement the curriculum. Best of all, they’re free!
View an updated list of corrections for this product here.