Grammar for Writers is a video-based, self-paced course designed to help learners feel less fear about getting grammar wrong, and more freedom in the flexibility that English affords.
This course is a deep dive into English grammar—but not grammar for its own sake. The goal is to give learners a mastery of grammar that results directly and immediately in better writing.
Grammar for Writers builds on a native speaker and reader’s instinctive understanding of language in order to demystify English grammar and sentence structure. The course provides very concrete tools to analyze, diagnose, and repair writing problems.
- 42 videos lessons (6.75 hours total)
- Lecture Notes for each lesson (PDF)
- Quizzes for each lesson (PDF)
This course is a great choice for homeschool families or for independent learners.
Credit: ½ Credit for High-School (or Upper Middle-School) Language Arts or Writing
License: This product is licensed for use by one family. Group licenses are available here.
The course is divided into four modules:
Module 1: The Main Line
- Module 1 Introduction
- The Main Line
- Identifying Verbs and Subjects
- Identifying Objects and Complements
- The Five Clause Patterns
- Actors and Actions, Subjects and Verbs
- What Is Passive Voice?
- Uses of the Passive Voice
- Strong Verbs vs. Precise Verbs
- Keeping Subjects Close to Verbs
- Compounds on the Main Line
- Verb Tenses
- Module 1 Review
Module 2: Modifiers
- Module 2 Introduction
- Adjectives and Adverbs
- What’s So Bad About Adverbs?
- Prepositional Phrases (Part 1)
- Prepositional Phrases (Part 2)
- Participial Phrases
- Infinitives and Infinitive Phrases
- Subordinate Clauses (Introduction)
- Adjective Clauses
- Adverb Clauses
- More on Subordinate Clauses
- Misplaced Modifiers
- Module 2 Conclusion
Module 3: Noun Equivalents
- Module 3 Introduction
- Noun Clauses
- Gerunds and Infinitives
- Essential and Non-Essential Elements
- Module 3 Review
Module 4: Connections and Transitions
- Module 4 Introduction
- Subject-Verb Agreement
- Pronouns and Antecedents
- Connecting Clauses (Part 1)
- Connecting Clauses (Part 2)
- Nominative Absolutes
- Course Wrap-Up